Thursday, July 19, 2007

non smoker


I have smoked cigarettes for what seems like forever. When I was down, in trouble, and I needed a helping hand, I could rely on a smoke to make me feel better, if only for a few minutes. I recently decided it was time to quit. With my health deteriorating and MS worsening, I knew there was no time like the present. My last smoke was on Sunday. I am on Thursday now. 4 days SMOKE FREE. I never would have thought that I could have even made it this far. The nicotine gum seems to be working well for me thus far. On average, I have had 3 or 4 pieces a day when I have a craving to smoke. My father quit smoking 5 years ago and gave me some tips to optimize my chances of success. I realized when and why I want to smoke and are trying very hard to distract myself from those circumstances. My hardest time is at night, right now, when I am getting ready for bed. Before quitting, I would smoke 4 or 5 in a row before brushing my teeth and hopping into bed. Instead of smoking tonight, I had a piece of gum, a large glass of water and am typing about how bad I want to smoke, hoping that the more I type, the more the urge passes for me. One day, one craving at a time is working right now. That and lots of snack food. I am going to gain a lot of weight. I think that I have had ice cream every night this week.

No comments: