Thursday, October 14, 2004

game two - yankees 3-1

yankees win game two 3-1


The chants of "Who's Your Daddy" were constant at Yankee Stadium tonight. I was hysterical laughing every time I heard it. Yes, Pedro Martinez got his start tonight in the Bronx against Jon Leiber. But the star tonight was John Olerud of the New York Yankees. Olerud hit a two-run home run off of Martinez in the sixth inning.

The thing that surprised me the most tonight was how humble Martinez seemed to be in the press conference after the game. The same man who three years ago said
Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass.
actually seemed to be humble. Talking about how just 15 years ago he was under a mango tree without money to take a bus, Martinez said that he enjoyed the attention at Yankee Stadium (although the chants clearly made fun of him) by saying
It actually made me feel really, really good. I actually realize I'm somebody important. I caught the attention of 60,000 people, you guys and the whole world. If I turned the clock back 15 years, I was sitting under a mango tree without 50 cents for a bus. And today I was the center of attention of the city of New York. They made me feel important. I don't regret one thing. I obviously kind of like it.


No comments: