Monday, May 20, 2002

US states ban junk food from schools

So I know that if I was in high school or maybe even in grammar school, I would be totally pissed off about this. But given the fact that now it honestly has nothing to do with me anymore, I can say that I think that this is a good idea. I can't remember what television show was on where I saw a McDonalds and a Taco Bell in the SAME high school. And I thought that bacon, egg and cheeses were bad?!? That was one of the WORST things that I could get when I was in high school (and I thought nothing can change THAT much in 5 years LOL).

US states ban junk food from schools

Story filed: 17:51 Monday 20th May 2002

US schools are banning junk food from the canteen in an attempt to tackle the rise in teenage obesity.
The country's two biggest states, Texas and California, will stop selling soft drinks, sweets and chips cafeterias from the start of the next academic year. School districts in many other states have already outlawed the sale of junk food and replaced it with soy-based burgers, grilled chicken, salads and fruit juices. The number of severely obese children in the US has doubled since 1980. Some 13% of children aged 6 to 11 years and 14% of youngsters aged 12 to 19 years were overweight in 1999.

No comments: